Monday, October 8, 2012

Day 8- 16 Bean Soup(Crock Pot Style!)

Welcome to Monday....start of the second week of my October Challenge... :)  After an eventful weekend, I found myself with the start of a cold yesterday, so I didn't want to do much, and luckily I had a quick easy crock pot dinner yesterday.  I decided to go ahead and search for my menu options for the coming week.

16 Bean Soup (Crock Pot Style)

I had found this idea on Pinterest, and had never heard of, or found this in the grocery store, so I was instantly curious if I could find it. 

It is a bag of 16 bean soup...It has the beans, and all you have to do is either add the pouch of ingredients, or make up your own yummy seasonings.  The original recipe doesn't call for meat, however, Trevor is a meat eater, and gets frustrated when I don't cook meat for dinner, so I added some ham to the ingredients.

I opted to do my own seasonings:

1 bag 16 bean soup
1 pouch onion soup mix
1 can diced tomatoes (juice too)
1 onion
1 lb black forest ham
Water to cover beans

Prep:
This was very easy to prep. I started the night before, sorted the beans to make sure there wasn't anything odd in them, and put them in a pot and covered with water, 2 inches above beans.  covered them and left them on the stove over night.  In the morning, I drained the beans, and rinsed them.  I put them in the crock pot with all the other ingredients and left it on low.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours (the longer the better mine was in for 10 hours, the longer it cooks, the better it tastes).

I will serve with Texas Toast.  Enjoy! :)

No comments: